Recipe of the Week: Kohlrabi Fries
Check out our Pinterest Riverbend Gardens Recipe board
for all kinds of great recipes for our delicious veggies! In the mood for kohlrabi slaw? You’ll find it there! In the mood for fries? Find it there and right here in the spot light this week!
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds kohlrabi, peeled and cut into thick sticks
- 1 tablespoon rice flour, chickpea flour or semolina (more as needed)
- 1/3 cup neutral oil, such as canola, grapeseed, or safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (more or less to taste)
In a heavy and deep frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. While pan is heating, in a medium sized bowl mix 1/2 teaspoon of the salt with the flour. Add Kohlrabi sticks and toss to coat. When oil has been heated and is rippling, using tongs, carefully add the kohlrabi to the pan in batches so the pan is not crowded. Cook until browned on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season with curry and remaining salt. Serve while hot.
P.S. You can also eat kohlrabi raw and you can eat the greens!