May 17th, 2014
Lavender ShortbreadFrom A Garden for The House
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 tsp fresh lavender buds (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour Optional Adornment
- 1 cup confectioners sugar blended with just enough water for a spreadable consistency
- Lavender petals
- Remove lavender bud from the stalk.
- Using a food processor, a blender, or a mortar and pestle, grind the sugar and lavender petals together.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer outfitted a paddle, beat the lavender sugar and butter at low speed until smooth. Then add the flour and beat until combined. Mixing is complete when there are no visible lumps of butter in the dough. Form the dough into a rough disk, wrap it in plastic, and chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle; cut out cookie shapes with a round, 2-inch diameter cutter. Using a flat spatula, transfer the rounds to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake on the middle rack of a preheated 300 degree oven just until the sides of the cookies begin to colour (25-30 minutes). Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Decorate with the optional glaze; sprinkle with lavender petals. Makes 2 dozen 2 inch diameter cookies.