October 9th, 2013
Wine-Poached BeetsFrom Better Homes and Gardens
- 3/4 cup dry red wine such as merlot or shiraz, or apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 pounds beets, peeled, and cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine 1/2 cup of the wine, the water, and brown sugar. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add beets. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes until beets are tender and can be pierced with a fork, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer beets to serving bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Splash with remaining 14 cup wine. Drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges. Makes 8 to 10 side-dish (1/2-cup) servings.