July 18th, 2013
Recipe of the Week: Refrigerator PicklesFrom “Food In Jars: Urban Preserving” Are you scared of canning? You’re not alone, and thanks to Pinterest you too can make yummy pickles without gigantic pots or a root cellar like Ma and Pa Ingalls. The best part: they’re ready the next day!
- 1 quart cucumbers (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 spring onions (whites only), chopped
- Wash and dry cucumbers. Chop ends off and slice into spears. Set aside.
- Combine vinegar, water and salt in sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Equally divide the dill seed, garlic cloves and chopped onion between the two jars. Pack the cucumber spears into the jars as tightly as you can without crushing them.
- Pour the brine into the jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Put lids on the jars and let them cool on the counter top. Once they’re cool, put them in the refrigerator. Let cure for at least a day before eating. Pickles will keep in the fridge for up to a month.